Train as a Mental Health First Aider (MHFAider®) and receive three years of certification, plus access to ongoing benefits.
This course is ideal for individuals who would like to become an MHFAider® to gain the knowledge and skills to spot signs of people experiencing poor mental health, be confident to start a conversation and signpost a person to appropriate support.
In addition to the course, you will become part of the largest MHFAider® community in England, gaining access to resources, ongoing learning and 24/7 digital support through our MHFAider Support App®, to give you the tools and knowledge you need to carry out the role effectively and confidently, whether that be in your workplace, a volunteer role, or in the community.
As an MHFAider® you will be able to:
• Recognise those that may be experiencing poor mental health and provide them with first-level support and early intervention
• Encourage a person to identify and access sources of professional help and other supports
• Practise active listening and empathy
• Have a conversation with improved mental health literacy around language and stigma
• Discuss the MHFAider® role in depth, including boundaries and confidentiality
• Practise self-care
• Know how to use the MHFAider Support App®
• Know how to access a dedicated text service provided by Shout and ongoing learning opportunities with MHFA England
This online course is structured across four sessions. Each session is a maximum of 3hrs 30mins and sessions are delivered within a two week period with an MHFA England Instructor Member, covering 14 hours of content in total.
Learning takes place through a mix of instructor led training, group discussions, individual and group activities.
Each session builds on the previous, enabling the learner to gain confidence in supporting others with a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that instructors can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
We strive for all of our learning content to be as accessible and inclusive as possible.
Everyone who completes this course gets:
• A hard copy workbook to support their learning throughout the course
• A digital manual to refer to whenever they need it after completing the course
• A wallet-sized reference card with the Mental Health First Aid action plan
• A digital MHFAider® certificate
• Access to the MHFAider Support App® for three years
• Access to ongoing learning opportunities, resources and exclusive events
• The opportunity to be part of the largest MHFAider® community in England
Mental Health First Aid and the action plan
The MHFAider® role and self-care
Helpful and unhelpful language
Useful models to support the role
What influences mental health?
What is anxiety?
Crisis first aid
Active listening and empathy
What are eating disorders?
What is self-harm?
What is substance misuse?
Applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
What is depression?
What is suicide?
Crisis first aid continued
What is psychosis?
Recovery and lived experience
Boundaries in the MHFAider® role
Moving forward in the MHFAider® role
My MHFA action plan
November 2023 – Mental Health First Aid Online Course Schedule
Live Online Session 1: Monday September 18th 09.30 to 13.00
Live Online Session 2: Thursday September 21st 09.30 to 13.00
Live Online Session 3: Monday September 25th 09.30 to 13.00
Live Online Session 4: Thursday September 28th 09.30 to 13.00
Course Attendance Fee:
MHFA England RRP: £325 + VAT per person (online public course attendance)
The course is delivered by Mind Fitness Learning
We are Mental Health First Aid England Instructor Members